Hey guys!
First of all, yes I did get the packages the day Pres. and Sis. Shulz came to visit. I got all 5 (Yours and the Blanchards) BUT I haven't opened them yet because we, as a district, decided to not open them until Christmas morning so we have a whole bunch of packages under the tree. Looks like real Christmas!!! Hahaha
To answer your question: Yes, I ate the fish, and fufu, and stew, and everything. If you don't they make fun of you/are offended (but the people here are too nice and love Americans so they usually don't).
Luckily tomorrow we are going to a recent converts house to have Ice Cream!!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYY!!! They rarely make it here, but apparently it's wicked good when they do.
Ouch! I hope Jen gets better soon so she doesn't miss her concert!!!
HAHA GOOD LUCK LEARNING TWI FROM THAT! (Brian's referring to us buying a book of mormon in TWI) I tried. It's almost impossible. Most people here can only speak it, they can't read or write their own language. So usually they speak Twi, but read english. Their language is hard when it comes to reading because their alphabet is totally different. The backwards 3 sounds like "eh" and the little e sounds like "ay" and the backwards c sounds like "uh" but like super quick and stuttered.
I'm glad you're all enjoying Psych!!! Everyone in the apartment loves it too. Especially my companion! We quote it all the time. Yeah I loved that episode. I'm glad dad got the reference :)
Man I miss the guys so much. I hope Jacob gets my letter before he leaves. I sent it last monday so we'll see....
I wish I could have been there for his farewell talk ugh! I'm glad to hear it was excellent though. But then again everything Jake does is excellent!!! hahaha
So here's other things of mention from this week and other things I haven't told you guys yet but wrote down so I'd remember:
-We have a problem with false prophets here. There's one in particular and he is going around tricking people into believing him and buying anointing oil from him. He is screwing up a lot of people but it's usually pretty easy to convince people he is a fake.
-We got a new stove! It's sooooooo nice. The flame is mesmerizing. We like to turn it on just to look at it it's so blue.....also it's got tempered glass so no rust! It lights on it's own so we don't need to buy matches anymore either! We are still trying to get used to how quickly it cooks though. It burns eggs if you don't flip em in literally 10 seconds.....
-I LOVE fufu. I've had it twice now and it's getting better each time. Once I get home I'll be craving it. Maybe I'll get a pestle and mortar.....
-In my next package please send at least: -onion salt -garlic salt (I wanna make garlic noodles) -syrup -soy sauce
-I don't know if I told you before or not, but english swear words are not swear words to africans. I've been cringing a lot.....I hope I don't come home with a potty mouth haha.
-My Twi name is (Ko-fee Bah-ko). You can know your own Twi names too! The first name is the day you were born (ex: Kofi is friday) and the last name is which child you are (Baako is firstborn) you can probably look it up :)
-An investigator came to church on sunday! She totally surprised us haha. In the morning we went to go pick her up for church and she was not even awake yet. So her grandma woke her up and we told her to get ready and she said, "okay I will come" and we said okay we will wait. And she laughed and said, "no no no you go, I will come!" Now about 99.9999999999999999% of the time that means they don't want to come and won't come. So we just left but said if she didn't show up by 8:30 we would come back. So we went back at 8:30 and she still wasn't ready so we left. But then towards the end of sacrament meeting she showed up!!! She was too nervous to walk into the chapel. It was so funny. She thought that if she walked in everyone would turn and stare and she would get embarrassed. Eventually she finally came in and even started taking notes on what the bishop said! Which reminds me, I gave her the Liahona to read (a talk about trials and sharing the gospel with others) and she took 4 pages of notes, copied them all into her notebook, and gave us a copy so we could see! She's so awesome haha. She's one of the few investigators who feels more like a legit friend. And that's how it should be.
-I have another incredible story. So about 2 weeks ago we were riding our bikes down a hill and a kid called us from the side of the road. Normally we don't stop because normally they just want to make us say something in Twi and then laugh at us, but I stopped anyway. He wanted to know what we were all about. So we gave him a passalong card, invited him to church and left. We expected to never see him again. So then this last week he called us and was like, "HEY! When are you guys coming to teach me?!?!" So we scheduled an appointment and met with him. Everything was going smooth and he was totally accepting but then in the middle of our lesson he goes, "I'm glad God told me to stop you, because a few nights ago I had a dream. And in it, Jesus came back in the rapture, and told me I was not saved. But I know God told me to stop you so you could teach me the way I can be saved." My companion and I were like...jaw dropped....God prepared this man HARDCORE for us. So we taught him and he LOVED everything we taught and he's preparing for baptism on Jan. 15 :) He constantly tells us how happy he feels when we teach.
-Another older man stopped us randomly and we gave him a passalong card as well. He was like, "I have made up my mind to come to your church." But normally this means nothing so we ignored it again and just left. Then on Sunday he showed up all by himself! So we taught him right there right after church and he was like, "I'm glad I came, because I have been looking for a church that is quiet because all these other churches just yell and scream!" So we taught him (more like he read the pamphlet and taught us!). He knows like 7 languages. Including english, french, Twi,.and a bunch of other tribal languages. He is a genius. He gets it as soon as he reads it! And then he'll be like, "So if I understand it right, it's this this this and this." And he will explain it better than we can!!!! WHHAAAAATTT!!!!!!?!?!?! It's awesome. So we taught him again on sunday (heck yeah 2 lessons in one day!) And met his wife. She is going to come to church and be baptized too! They also have 2 children but they are just toddlers. So hopefully he'll be baptized Jan 15 too.
That's all for this week! On the 26th I'll send you LOADS of pictures!!! Since I can't open my packages until christmas haha.
OH one more thing! I JUST got ALLLLLL of grandma's letters all at once haha. So tell her I said thank you for the candy canes and for all her letters. I wrote one to her last week so she'll get one soon! I also got one from Brother Madsen but it was meant for me to read at the MTC haha, oh well. I will be writing him a letter back, but I need his address! Please give it to me! Thanks!!!
Love you guys so much. <3 Bye!
