My photo
Ghana, Cape Coast Mission (October 2011 - June 2012)
Ghana, Kumasi Mission (July 2012 - October 2013)
Currently in Tamale (Northern Region)

Monday, November 28, 2011

Ghanians Love A Bru ni

Yessss Mom does know best haha!!! Sure I'll make some omelettes, but I honestly don't think they're as good as mom's probably are haha.

Awesome! 4 packages! And they'll arrive in time for Christmas! All of us in our apartment are chipping in to buy this tiny christmas tree we saw in a store in the city. And we are going to put any packages we get under it and just open it all on Christmas morning!!! I'll write Grandma and grandpa a reaaaaally long letter and send it next monday. They'll probably get it just before Christmas. I'm excited to get some pictures and my razor and stuff! And yeah hopefully it's the right USB, because until I get that cord I can't send you any of the sweet pictures I've taken of my area and companion! Thanks for all the help guys!

Oh and yes I know I already used the geneology stuff at the MTC. When we visited the temple the second time I was able to do a baptism, confirmation, initiatory, and endowment for one of our deceased family members. (I don't remember who it was at the moment).

Awww man we all suffered for thanksgiving here haha! We so badly wanted to have a nice full turkey! But instead we just had a couple sandwiches, some indomei (like ramen), some Coke (which is actually pretty cheap. Only 60 pesuas per bottle), and a couple eggs. Yeahhh.....good meal....it's all good though. We just honestly don't get enough per month here. They're fighting hard for it to be raised though. Anything that is relatively good or safe to eat, is expensive (in Ghanaian terms. Pretty much everything, when converted to dollars, is WAYYYY cheap.).

Here's some stuff that has happened the past week:

-Today we played dodgeball for a p-day activity and it was zone vs. zone. It was a WICKED fun game.

-We came across a girl from BYU who is here studying dance. She bought us some of this instant cereal stuff that she said is REALLY good! We thanked her endlessly.

-I'm getting better at washing by hand. Last week I rubbed my knuckles raw, but i did better this week. It takes skill!

-I pounded fufu!!! I didn't get to eat it though. It's pretty easy. Just focus on hitting the same spot every time.

-I ate "iced kanke". It's basically kanke (some weird stuff made from corn. Try looking it up I don't know haha), that is mushed up, with water and "milk", and some sugar. It was okay for a couple spoonfuls, but then it just hits you and you're like UGHHHHHHHLHLKJAHFLKGEFLHG.

-We have 4 people with a baptismal date set already!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

-The little kids shouting "bru ni" is actually really starting to irritate me. Like they'll just follow you saying it over and over and over and just laughing. My companion and I are actually starting to try to scare them when they do that so they'll never do it anymore hahahaha. However, i have started counting how many times we are called "bru ni" everyday. And at the end of 2 years I'm going to average it up. I've only started on saturday, and sunday didn't count, but on saturday we were called bru ni 107 times. Yup. very annoying.

-When they say Ghana is a Christian country, it's so so so so true. Like, there is a church every few buildings. Not even exaggerating. ALLLL different kinds of churches. Like all the pastors convince the people they can speak in tongues to God so they just yell LITERALLY all day in gibberish. It's tough. I'd rather teach an atheist sometimes. Another problem is most people here aren't serious. Like I said before, they just want us to 'preach them', but they aren't actually interested in our message. They just like hearing the words, "God. Jesus Christ. Savior. Redeemer." said to them in sentences. Do you know what I mean? They don't want commitments. But there are always those few who really open up and let the Spirit touch them.

-I have been proposed to about 3 times already. A couple older women, and one guy asked if I would marry his daughter. Yuppp....awkward.....

-Africans love touching our hair..... A lot. It's awkward.

-There's a lizard named George living in our kitchen. Except this morning we found 2 more Georges. WOOO!!

-I've finally gotten used to the fact that ants just will crawl all over our food and walls 24/7. There's nothing we can do about it.

-It's almost Mango season! We are excited! :D We are just getting tired of oranges and bananas.

-Plantains are gross raw. And cooked. And everything else.

-I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I didn't have power for the first half week, and it's been going on and off ever since. But it's ONLY ours. Our neighbors are fine. It's because our meter is messed up or something.

-Lately our water has been sketchy too. It only works sometimes, so we fill up as much as possible.

So yeah! So far I love it here! Even though i have no reason to. But I love it! Can't really say why! I'll have soooo many stories to tell when I get home! Love you all so so so much! I'm trying to write everyone, but it'll take time, and money! So be patient please!!! :) <3

My health has been great so far. No puke. No stomach ache. No head-ache. The worst I've had it so far is a really runny nose on Saturday. But I got better by Sunday morning.

I gotta go! Only 1 minute left! Bye guys i love you!

-Elder Gagne