My photo
Ghana, Cape Coast Mission (October 2011 - June 2012)
Ghana, Kumasi Mission (July 2012 - October 2013)
Currently in Tamale (Northern Region)

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thy Will Be Done

Yeah it is a lot of interesting stuff. It's so so different but I'm enjoying it now. I think the majority of my stress was just accepting the fact that home is no longer home for the next two years. And I've really ingrained it into my head that I'm representing Jesus Christ, and he said to Heavenly Father, "Thy will be done." So I've just been constantly keeping that in my head, that I'm not here for me, not even a little bit. But I'm here for the Lord.

I'm glad Jen's play and the plants turned out great! And I'm glad that even Grandpa Gagne Aunt Dee and Victor were able to come down! That's awesome!

Just FYI, only one elder received a package so far, and it's because his parents sent it to the MTC a week before he left. Expect packages to take about 3 weeks to get here. I'd assume letters take just as long. So don't send any packages or letters to the MTC please. Send them to the mission home at this point. Or else I probably won't get them.

As soon as i know my area (wednesday I think) I'll let you know where I am going.

I'm not sure what I'll have yet in our apartments. I've heard some apartments have air conditioning and freezers and ovens, and some only have a small stove. So I don't know yet.

I never sent a letter to Aaron? That's weird. Did you guys send mine or something? I haven't sent any letters yet, because the system here is so confusing and makes no sense. Only the Africans have been able to send their mail to other African countries so far.

Yeah I got a Book of Mormon in Fante, but there were no Twi ones at the distribution center. I don't think any elders got Twi B.o.M.s but it doesn't say which language it is on the cover or anything so some of them probably think they got Twi but it's not it's Fante. Twi doesn't use the letter Z but the book I got has Z in the words and also uses 'Jesus Christ' as a proper name whereas Twi says 'Yesu Kristo' or the other way around. I can't remember haha. But I know enough Twi now to at least introduce myself and make small talk. It's a really easy language. Like the word for "is" is the same as the word for "are". So it's like, the past and present tenses are the same thing. It's almost like if in English you just talked extremely simply, like, "I go to store buy things."

All of us American Elders are DYING for American food. ANYTHING. PLEASE. At this point there is NO American food I wouldn't eat. That's not to say Ghanian food is bad, because it isn't, but American food is BETTER. WAY. BETTER. hahaha.

Tell Jen I said congrats on her acceptance into Suburban Council and All-State! haha getting colder there? I wish I could say the same. however, it is getting less humid now.

Apparently in about a month almost ALL humidity will be gone. The African Elders said it gets so dry for them that they get chapped lips and their skin splits. But that's because they spend like 90% of the year in humidity. Us Americans are like YESSSSS WE CAN'T WAIT. But unfortunately the dry season is very short. The only negative side for us is that there's a wind from the Sahara that comes through and carries a lot of dust. So that's gonna suck. But oh well it's all good :)

I'm glad to hear Aaron is doing well! I wish him the best of luck. Tell Jacob and everybody who wrote me to PLEASEEE be patient because the mail here is VERY slow. So e-mail will be the best way to contact me. I think I may be able to e-mail grandma and grandpa and my friends on missions once i get out on the field. I honestly don't know yet. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

But I'm so ready to get out there. I know it'll be tough. I fully expect it to wear me out in every aspect. But this work is WAYYY more important than myself.

"Missionary: someone who leaves his family for a little while, so he can help other families be together forever."

I don't know if that's the exact quote haha but it's something like that. Anyway, time's up. I seriously love and miss you guys so much. I'll e-mail you on my first p-day out on the field :) Good bye!