- Serving a full time mission
- Ghana, Cape Coast Mission (October 2011 - June 2012)
Ghana, Kumasi Mission (July 2012 - October 2013)
Currently in Tamale (Northern Region)
Monday, January 16, 2012
Blame it on the Fufu!
Hey guys!
YES, I actually just got the 3 packages today, so I have the USB and I am sending you a few pictures :) I'll send more next time I hope.
I have been feeling very very good! I haven't been sick yet whatsoever (other than the 2 colds I told you about). I have faith in my patriarchal blessing haha. As long as I obey all the rules and work hard!
Man you guys are awesome with the packages! I can't thank you enough. It keeps me motivated and filled with good food :)
Whoa go Dad hahaha (Brian's referring to my husband who shoveled the snow in the driveway while he was sick). Mom please feel better! Don't forget to rest (that includes letting Dad and Jen do the dishes and NOT YOU!).
That's actually amazing that all songs but one were about God! (Brian's talking about his sisters concert) That makes me gain some faith in humanity hahaha.
Interesting things for this week:
-It snows white in America, and snows black in Africa. Haha just kidding, but really, they burn ALL their garbage here, so it sometimes just snows ash. It's pretty funny. I hope to get a picture with it snowing ash and with my tongue out trying to catch it hahaha.
-You know how in TV ads for charity for Africa they always show kids rolling wheels or pulling cans on a string for fun? Yeah it's not an exaggeration. The kids here improvise ways to have fun, and that's a couple of them. Some of their ideas are pretty creative though. Like this game where you try to flip your bottlecap on top of another bottlecap that another kid is trying to flip as well.
-We didn't have power for the last 2 weeks and water is only sometimes working (mostly it's just the pressure is gone because a lady in our compound fills 20 buckets up EVERY MORNING.) So we have been having "bucket showers" haha. Basically we fill OUR buckets up when there is pressure and then in the morning we just dump them on ourselves. Also, we learned from some RM's (returned missionaries) from this mission that when you go home, no matter how HARD you try, you will STINK REALLY BAD to everyone back in America. I guess it's because we eat, breath, and drink Africa everyday....sorry guys haha.
-I got to finally have an experience giving a blessing to a sick person. This boy has a disease that made allllll his muscles so tiny that he can't walk or move his own arms. So I got to give him the blessing and it was a nice experience. I have faith that one day he will walk again. I know he will be healed someday, as long as he believes he will be too.
-I am getting fat. yes. Fat...in Africa....I blame it on the fufu. Fufu gives you a "fufu belly". It looks JUST like a beer belly, except it's because of fufu. So yeah. Not cool. I'm actually working out EVEN harder to get rid of it. Like, only my belly is even getting fat. Nothing else, it's so weird haha.
-Best food in Ghana so far: Killywilly (we aren't sure if that's actually how it's spelled or not). It's just fried red plantain and groundnut with seasoning. Oh. My. Goodness. We have had it for dinner everyday for the past week and a half. It's so good. Unfortunately for some reason they ONLY make it after 7 PM. I don't know why....
-Kader is SUCH A BEAST!!!! He told us last time we met with him that the day Elder Nelson and I took the different route to the main road (everytime we had walked from Esther's to the main road we went a certain way, but randomly we felt like going a different road and met Kader that day), he had JUST told his wife, "That church is MY church. I will go there." And he said he felt like just going outside, and that's when we met him. SO INTENSE!!! Plus, he told us that when he left the Pentecost church 5 years ago, he never went to another church. because he said he wanted to find the right one before he went to another church ever again, so he said he had dreams of the Latter-Day Saint church for those 5 years and finally made up his mind to come the VERY day that we met him. That brought me almost to tears when he told us that. I can't believe how much the hand of God is in this work. I love it.
-Today for P-day we played ultimate frisbee, it as WAY fun, and I'll probably never play it again until I come home. Also, the zone leaders (who we are all very close to because they are so so so hilarious and awesome) found a LEGIT place that makes LEGIT hamburgers and fries!!!! So they invited us to come with them. It's expensive, but SO WORTH IT.
That's all guys! Love you all so so much! Talk to you next week bye!
-Elder Gagne