My photo
Ghana, Cape Coast Mission (October 2011 - June 2012)
Ghana, Kumasi Mission (July 2012 - October 2013)
Currently in Tamale (Northern Region)

Monday, August 13, 2012

♪♪A Spoonful of Fufu Helps the Headache Go'Away♪♪

Hey guys!

Sorry I took so long to reply! The place that Sesay and I went to in town had a problem with the internet so I had to wait until tonight to e-mail and now I'm at the small cafe that's slow so I can't send pictures of the baptism :(

My cough is gone but today I got hit with a nasty headache. Ibuprofen helped a little, and after I ate fufu with some nice warm soup I felt better.

The rail looks awesome! It really does look much better than those shrubs we had out front haha.

Jen is showing interest in BYU?! That's funny because so am I haha. If I'm going to do film, BYU is much better for that than USU I think.

Oh okay, glad to know that's the package from Uncle Scott and the fam. :) Tell them I say thank you very very much! I enjoyed the twizzlers A LOT.

SWEET guys thank you AGAIN! Your packages are ALWAYS appreciated and I can't wait for this one. One note for future packages though: Please no more hard candy. I have SO much right now I can't keep up. I don't really enjoy them as much as I first did. What I really miss is CHOCOLATE. The bag of M&M's you guys sent that one time was awesome.

Yeah our Elders Quorum president has been keeping us up to date on the Olympics haha. USA ALL THE WAY. Ghana didn't win anything. Oh well.

Whaaaaaatttttttt?! New Bourne movie? Hopefully it's just as super action packed as the others!

My favorite scripture is 1 Peter 1:7-9 by far. It's not hard for me to pick haha. That one hit me hard when I first got out to Ghana. But that's cool they're doing the plaques thing! I'm happy for Colin too! He'll enjoy his mission for sure. No weird food lol!

Items from my week:

-TRANSFER NEWS!!!! Elder Sesay is going to Atafoa (Bantama Zone) to be with the ONLY Elder in our mission that doesn't speak english. I don't even know his name, but he's from Cote d'Ivoire. Elder Sharma is going to be my new companion! He's in some of the pictures from the mountain we climbed when I was in Asuoyeboa. He's an Indian (actual India) but lived in Fiji for some time. But he has the Indian Accent and everything haha. He's a REALLY cool guy and was trained by my best friend on mission Elder Francom. He came on mission the same time as Elder Slade and Hansen. The surprising thing though? Elder Thompson and Kato are BOTH leaving also! So I'm the only one staying in Kronum! Kato is going to Meduma so he'll still be in my district, but Thompson is going to Asuoyeboa!!!! YEAH! WHERE I WAS BORN! He'll enjoy it a lot haha. Coming to replace Thompson and Kato are Elder Lebengwa (he was in the MTC with me) from Botswana and Elder Madorobo also from Botswana. They're both really hardworking missionaries so Kronum is going to do SUPER AWESOME.

-We had a baptism of 5 people on Saturday.


The first 4 are the 3 children and wife of the guy that's from Virginia who wanted his family to join! And Afia is the sister of Sakina and Abena. Her other sister Akua was going to be baptized but she told us last second that she wants to figure some personal things out first. So she'll probably be baptized Sept. 1 along with the other few investigators who are progressing right now.

-We had a Zone Conference with President Holmes and I had to give a 6 minute talk about Teaching by the Spirit. The story behind me writing the talk and then the instances that happened just before I gave it are really cool. Basically I wanted to make my talk different from the normal way that we usually talk about teaching by the spirit. So I prayed to know what to talk about and I felt like I should focus on how to teach by the spirit we need to GET the spirit first. So I wrote about the doctrine of rebellion and how when you KNOW a commandment but still decide to break it and refuse to change yourself then not only are you sinning, but you're rebelling. Which requires even more repentance. I then wrote about how the mission rules we have are our new commandments that we agreed to obey when we were voluntarily set apart for 2 years. So those who purposely decide to break the rules will lose the spirit. But the cool part is BEFORE I gave my talk at the conference, President Holmes talked.  I thought it was funny he talked about everything I was going to talk about but with a different focus. But he also mentioned that each mission has it's own culture, and he wants the culture of this mission to be "strict obedience".

I had some other stuff I was going to mention but I wrote it in my planner and forgot it at home URGH! So I'll say everything I forgot NEXT week :)

LOVE YOU GUYS!! Thanks for the constant support.

Elder Gagne