My photo
Ghana, Cape Coast Mission (October 2011 - June 2012)
Ghana, Kumasi Mission (July 2012 - October 2013)
Currently in Tamale (Northern Region)

Monday, August 20, 2012

You Were Right Mom. You Were Right!

Hey guys!

Most missionaries only serve in 4-5 areas. Because once you transfer, you stay with that companion about 2 transfers to learn the area, and then they are usually transferred out, and a new guy comes and you stay with him 2 transfers to learn the area and then you leave. That's what's happened to me all mission so far, but you never know, things can happen all the time. But generally that's how it happens. I have a feeling I'll only stay in Kronum 1 more transfer though and then I'll move. But yeah transfers were wednesday. I do hope my companion will teach me some Indian cooking haha. But I found out he's actually from Fiji but his heritage is just Indian. He's known as an Indo-Fijian. They are very common there. He lived right across the street from the Fiji temple! He's a super awesome missionary and we get along super well :)

I REALLY wanted to send pictures FINALLY this week but ONCE AGAIN there's issues and I can't send them. Next week I'll probably send like a million haha.

Well, I'm actually not better at all. I mentioned my headache last time right? Well what I think happened was my cough weakened my throat and stuff and so I got Strep Throat. The Zolls know everything and have been checking up on me so if you want more details you can ask them. I'm on amoxycillin now and it's getting better slowly. But I still haven't stayed home! I go out every day haha. I refuse to stay in the apartment.

Nope! I haven't baptized personally a single person in Kronum. Since almost everyone we baptize is a member referral, we have the member baptize them. It's better for the convert that way too.

Tell Grandma thank you VERY much!  Like, to eat healthily it costs approx 3 cedis a meal. That's 9 cedis a day. That equals about 210 cedi's per our monthly allotment just to eat healthily, that's not including transportation, supplies, etc.... The prices here are always increasing.  When I came, a satchet of water was 5 pesewas, it's now 10. That's double in price for sachets (sachets are like the backbone of everything here in Ghana) is the only real example you need to prove that things are inflating in Ghana. Bread used to be 1 cedi for a loaf, it's now 1.20. Rice went up like 2 cedi's per bag. URGH

YEAH GHANA!!!! (Referring to the Gallup Poll of the most Religious Countries - Ghana was rated #1).  Ghana's Christianity is both the easiest and hardest part of the missionary work here. I'm sure you can figure out why. I hope people who know just how incredibly friendly the Ghanaian people are put 2 and 2 together and realize their shared love of Christianity is what unites everyone. The normal greeting is to say, "Nyame adom eye" Which means "By God's grace it's fine".

Yep, I got the package of the pretzels :) Thanks so much!

Items from my week:

-I was even planning on telling you about the weather her lately! Yes, I am FREEZING at night and in the morning! Mom. This is one of those moments where I fall at your feet begging you saying, "you were right Mom. You were right." I left my fleece blanket you forced me to bring with Elder Slade thinking "Psh. I've been hot EVERY night on mission so far. This takes up too much room." Then the rainy season began and now it's a season called "short Hamattan" that lasts a few weeks in the middle of rainy season. It hasn't rained for 3 weeks and it's been REALLY cold at night! I haven't used the fan at all and I cuddle under my blanket!

-I think for my 1 year package (october) I would like a couple new white shirts.

-The "Natural Cherry Pomegranate" is my favorite drink juice mix you've sent yet. Please send more. I also need more deodorant. There's some here but it's not as good haha.

-I'm feeling the spirit strongly! Even yesterday, we went to go teach a recent convert named that Sesay had baptized before I came. In the beginning of the lesson he  said, "okay so I want you guys to just ask me any question about the church so I can see what I know." Immediately I thought of asking if he understood the priesthood. As I thought about how to ask it, Elder Sharma said, "So Osei, you have received the Aaronic priesthood correct?" "Yes." "So what do you understand about the priesthood? What is the priesthood?" And as it turned out, the convert had mostly forgotten what it was! I know that was an inspired moment! It was really cool.

-This is one of the things I thought of from last week I forgot to mention. There's proof we have spirits. Elder Reid told me about this: So, science has said that when you perform an action, your brain thinks about performing it, sends a message to your muscle, which sends a response to your brain to do it. Now, the original thought that decided to perform that action comes from another part of your brain, which came from another part, from another, etc.... until eventually there's an origin. But scientists have no idea what sets the chain off. The guy that had explained this to Elder Reid asked him, "So how can you explain that?" And Elder Reid (this was back in the U.S.) said, "we have a spirit." And the guy said, "THANK YOU. EXACTLY! YES!" Just some food for thought ;)

-One of our recent converts taught Gospel Principles class last week! He did a great job! We are really proud of him. He's always excited to progress.

-I've been making french fries in our oven haha. I found a place that sells HUGE bags of pre-cut french fries for 11 cedis. So I use them to snack on every once in a while!

That's all I thought about for this week!

I love you guys! Can't wait to hear from you next week!

-Elder Gagne