My photo
Ghana, Cape Coast Mission (October 2011 - June 2012)
Ghana, Kumasi Mission (July 2012 - October 2013)
Currently in Tamale (Northern Region)

Monday, January 28, 2013

Hens & Lambs

Hello family!

I didn't go to town again this week so the slowness of the computer is taking up precious time and I have to keep it short.

Happy for you guys having cold weather! I wish I could remember what that felt like...something to do with sweaters and jackets.....hahaha

Hopefully you guys touch base with that waiter from Ghana you met soon! How cool would it be for me to report to President that I received a referral for my area from my family in the U.S.A.?! That is unheard of and definitely not a coincidence.

Yeah 25 lessons a week is very difficult! And this week we even got 24 lessons, despite me having the worst wasted day on saturday of all time! (I'll say more about that below)

I'm very happy for Jen! She is doing great things. Much better things than I had done at her age! Haha I was too lazy!


AWESOME movies that are coming out! I told Elder Lebengwa just now and we are both freaking out (we may or may not have giggled like a little schoolgirl). I'll have a lot of hero movies to catch up on!

Thanks so much for the packages!

Items from my week:

-I need more of those nice Zebra pens. I write so much I have finished all but one of them! I never thought even once in my life that I would have a specific pen I would prefer, but these Zebra Pens are so perfect....Weird that I even have a favorite pen....

-I have lost like half of my hankys since coming on mission, so I need some new ones. They sell them here, but they're terribly rough and scratchy.

-There's a couple things I've realized I've gained an appreciation of by being here in Ghana. Some of the imagery in the Scriptures makes more sense with the type of culture here. For example, in 3 Nephi just before Christ appears, the people hear the voice of the Savior saying that he would have gathered them as a hen gathers her chicks. Well, I've witnessed it multiple times. When danger comes (like me chasing them lol), the chicks scatter a little, but they know to follow the hen and when they reach a corner the chicks get under the hen's wings and the hen will wait for the danger to take further action. If danger does take further action (A.K.A. I pretend as if I'll kick them but I don't), the hen will FLIP out and attack despite being so much smaller than the danger. Another thing I've seen is the difference between the slaughter of a goat, and a lamb. When a goat or sheep is killed, it goes crazy and baas and flails around. When a lamb is slaughtered, it makes no noise. It does not fight. It accepts. It's humbling. Gives great meaning to why Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith both went "as a lamb to the slaughter."

-This saturday was terrible for me! All our scheduled appointments were no shows.  So now we had no plans, nothing, no-one to see as we had scheduled everyone for next week already.  We ended up having 4 lessons despite having no plans

Anyway, that's all. I know the Lord will bless us for our labors.

Love you guys!

-Elder Gagne

(looks like it ended up being a pretty long e-mail anyway haha)