My photo
Ghana, Cape Coast Mission (October 2011 - June 2012)
Ghana, Kumasi Mission (July 2012 - October 2013)
Currently in Tamale (Northern Region)

Monday, April 29, 2013

Out of the Pan, Into the Fire!

Out of the frying pan and into the fire...the REFINER'S FIRE.
Well as you continue through this e-mail you'll understand why I say that.
No guys I think I'll be healthy forever if I'm healthy here haha. Don't worry about me :) But it's true, it would be hilarious if I've been healthy all this time in Africa but then get sick when I go home.

The Monkey Village was awesome! So was the waterfalls. Can't wait to send the pictures to you! (when you get to the end of this e-mail, you'll know why that will be possible)

Ah! What crappy kind of "dance" is that!? It's less talented than the Azonto! (Look up the Azonto on youtube, it's Ghana's favorite dance and song) Too bad we are all gone so we can't spice up the dances!
Wai adie mum! (Good job mum!) Talking in front of people is something I've grown to love here. I have to either give a talk, teach, or bear testimony in church every week since the members in Penkwase are few. But even throughout my mission I've come to love talking about the Gospel to everyone since that is what I know so well now haha. In fact, it's part of something I want us all to discuss when I come back; the different possibilities for career paths for me. Not that I don't still want to do film, but like, I want other options, and I want to weigh them. But mum, that's such a great spiritual experience and a perfect example of the spirit of Elijah's power.

John Tanner is my favorite early latter-day saint (isn't that an oxymoron?!). What an example of
consecration!

As for mother's day, I may be able to skype. (For reasons why, still, see below haha)
Okay yeah, you can go ahead and ask them about me if I still have a place held for me. If they do, I'll probably want to go right back in January. If I don't have a place reserved, then I want to do some other things before trying to return to school. Like working and trying out a few other ideas I have.

I'd mostly just like buffalo pretzels haha

Items from my week:

-Ripped a pair of my new pants getting onto the bike...my whole butt was showing haha. Good thing I sat on the bike all the way home so no one could see!
-We had 3 big disappointments in one day due to Ghana culture. All 3 cases were over 18 years old (legally allowed to decide for themselves). The first, was a woman we contacted that had showed great interest, we went to teach her for the second time, and it went very well and she accepted a baptismal date.  And due to Ghana culture, the oldest living member of the family has control over everyone else. Even extended family. So, we had to stop teaching her. But we did give her a Book of Mormon. Then we went to see a guy we've been teaching. The lesson went well AGAIN and he also said, his father won't let him leave his Church.  It was a terrible day for us. But we were blessed with a couple other awesome people instead!

-We got transfer news. Guys, I thought Sunyani was the frontier I'd be a part of, but apparently God wants me to move the most extreme frontier of all. TAMALE.

Yep. Going to the city I told you about a while ago. The church only opened there 3 months ago. They sent 8 missionaries (4 companionships, and all in one apartment) to open it and now I'm going in to replace one of them! They have had only 1 baptism so far but there are a few members already living there who moved there for schooling or business.  It is about 5-10 degrees hotter. That'll be fun too. But I really prayed very hard about this move and I know it's right. I'm actually excited for the trial. That's why I am dubbing Tamale the Refiner's Fire. President said himself it is only for the most serious and hardworking missionaries because it is probably one of the most difficult areas in the world. When he called me himself to release me from my calling as District Leader he told me he was sending me to Tamale to be with an Elder from Zimbabwe, he's a VERY awesome and funny missionary) and said, "it's a very tough area, but I think you have no problem with how tough things are do you?" When talking to members about Tamale I have received only comments like . . .

"HAHAH!! YOU'LL COME BACK AS OBIBINI! (black man)" or

"WOW! Do you know it's way hotter there than it is here?!" or

"Oh boy, there's no fufu in Tamale" (that one made me almost cry) or

 "Oh. Sorry, that place is not easy. Even the culture is different." or

"Forget the Twi you know! They only speak Lagumba!" (I already know how to say good morning, afternoon, and evening, in Lagumba, so I'll learn this one now too haha).

Amidst all these terrible negative comments, none of which I have received so far are good, I am still excited to go. Let it be as hard as possible! I want to come out of that area like a man and say I did it! Hahaha. It probably isn't as bad as it sounds, I mean they have the biggest Melcoms (a supermarket chain) in the country, and there's a Vodafone internet cafe there! (Hence, why I will be able to start sending pictures again and possibly may skype). Still, it will not be easy. Especially the part about not getting too many baptisms or even people to teach. Oh well, I still feel ready for it. 

But that's all guys! Wish me luck! And don't worry about me, I'll be fine. I'll also be in an apartment with another Elder I know! He's a hilarious missionary. Only 5.5 months left guys! On mother's day

I'll give the details of my return plans hahahaha.

Love you!
-Elder Tamale Boy (the nickname the mission has for those who serve in Tamale)