My photo
Ghana, Cape Coast Mission (October 2011 - June 2012)
Ghana, Kumasi Mission (July 2012 - October 2013)
Currently in Tamale (Northern Region)

Monday, June 25, 2012

Before I Know It Burgers & Pizza Won't Exist

Hey fam.

Yeah we are working hard! But we've been struggling to meet with people these past 2 weeks :\ We've been doing mostly service but it makes our days longgggg and boring. It's all worth it though.

Yep the mission split is going to be so cool! I'm especially excited for the first AP's. Elder Wheeler and Elder Briggs :) Both of those guys deserve it! I'm happy for my grandpa (Elder Wheeler) Haha.

Yeah we had President Shulz come and say goodbye to everyone. It was a hard goodbye and I'll miss him a lot. But it's for the best. He talked about how it'll be good because we'll have a mission president right here with us who will actually know all the missionaries well and their areas. Because Shulz doesn't even know where most of our apartments are and he doesn't get much time to even see us so he doesn't know us as well either. So in the end, it'll be worth it. Plus, the church is always expanding. And with that, things like this need to happen.
Goodbye to President and Sr. Shulz

WHAT the BACONATOR IS GONE?!?!?!?! This can't be happening....just when I thought all of my favorite food would still be there when I get home.....before I know it burgers and pizza won't exist in America and instead you'll all be eating fufu and banku and ampesie and kelewele..... (Elder Gagne will be happy to learn that he misunderstood.  The Baconator at Wendy's is still there, but mom's favorite bacon deluxe was superceded by "Son of Baconator".)

YES JEN HAS MESKUTOVICZ!!!!!! Tell Jen (when she goes back to school obviously), to ask her if she still has the Dunkin Donuts box that says "The Man Table" and if she remembers us :) Man that class was my favorite class in all of my schooling history. Tell Jen she will LOVE IT. Especially the Great Gatsby. Tell Jen that if she EVER needs help knowing what that book is talking about or what certain things represent in that book to just e-mail me and I can tell her. Because we TORE THAT BOOK APART (not literally) when we were in that class. There is not one word in that book that we didn't analyze and figure out it's symbolism. The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books of all time. Just tell her to be prepared for The Heart Of Darkness....that book is NOT easy or fun to read...but maybe she'll enjoy it more since her brother is in Africa, the location and setting of that book ;) Also tell her to enjoy all the Shakespeare. And even the additions people have made to Shakespeares stories. For example, tell her to be ready to laugh her head off when she reads "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead". I'm telling you guys, If you read and comprehend Hamlet, and then read that book, nothing will be a more funny inside joke than that book. Tell Jen she will LOVE that class. PLUS MRS. MESK IS SO AWESOMEEEEEEEE.

lol you guys talking about summer.....

Wow tell uncle scott I say thanks so much! I appreciate it a lot and I'll have to write him back. I think I wrote him back with the letter he sent me but I can't remember. Ask him if he got a letter from me. If not, I'll write one and send it.

WHAT SPIDERMAN COMES OUT ON MY BIRTHDAY AND I'M NOT HOME TO SEE OHHHHHHH MAN SO MAD.

Thanks for sending Slade's blog. I appreciate it a lot. it's nice to keep tabs on my old area :) I'm happy to hear he is still seeing Dickson and James. THAT'S CRAZY ABOUT THE CAR HITTING THE LADY WHATTTT?! I hope I never have to see that in my life....I told you guys these drivers are INSANE.

Answers to your questions:

1. Yes people here feed us very well. Not as much fufu here though. I think it's just because of the specific members that feed us compared to Asuoyeboa, not because it's less popular here or anything. We get mostly rice and stew here.

2. Nope not really anything I'm running out of. Thanks for asking though and thanks for always sending packages! They save my life!!! (Oh P.S. I got the other 3 birthday packages! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! I can't wait to see what you guys sent! But man we are going to PARTY IT UP IN KRONUM JULY 3rd!!!!)

3. I'll share my spiritual experiences below :)

Items from my week:

-The battery charger you guys sent me got fried. I even used it with the converter. But the converter still doesn't protect it from the power fluctuations. So I went to Opoku (store) in town and they had some for sale. They weren't crappy name brand either they were energizer, but made for these outlets. it was 24 cedis so i bought it. The batteries you sent work with it so everything is okay now :)

-For President Shulz's final instruction to us, he taught us about how each of the scriptures came about and how we have them the way they are today. First he talked about the Bible, then the BOM (Book of Mormon). But when talking about the BOM he talked about when Oliver Cowdery went with Joseph Smith to bring the plates back to the Hill Cumorah. Remember a long time ago when I told you guys about how there's a cavern under the hill with all the other plates? Well President talked about that again. He said the same thing he had told me privately before. That they went under the hill and the first time Oliver saw the Sword of Laban on the wall in it's sheath. The second time they went, the sword was unsheathed, on top of the plates sitting on the table in the small room (the room also had about 6 wheelbarrows full of plates and records) and written on the sword was: "This sword will never be sheathed again until the kingdoms of this world become the kingdom of our God and his Christ." That gave me goosebumps....

-Could you guys send Josh Groban Noel album? I love that album. Plus it even has Mo-tab on it so it would be perfect :)

-Question: Methuselah was the oldest man that ever lived, but he died before his father. How is that possible? (I already know the answer, I just wanna make you guys study :) )

-As for spiritual experiences, for me here in Kronum it seems less like my learning is from teaching others, but that it's from working with my companion. My prayers are all focused more on helping me to make good choices with my companion and to know how to work with him and stuff like that. It's very hard for me to focus on our investigators when my mind and prayers are always thinking about how to improve myself and my companion. I realized though, that mission is meant to teach me these things so I just need to learn these lessons so I'll be stronger for the future. All my spiritual experiences and answers to prayers lately have been personal answers and less about my investigators. Don't take it to mean I'm not thinking about them, but it's like God is taking care of them and they aren't giving me any stress or problems and we get continuous referrals from members to teach but I think God right now is doing that so I can learn valuable things from my companion. We'll see how these next 7 weeks are. But don't worry. I'm very happy still :)

That's mainly it for me! Love you guys! Next week I'll tell you who my sweet investigators are and stuff.

To Jen (his sister):  I'll leave you with lyrics I can remember from one of my favorite bands: The Dear Hunter 
                         "Hey hey hey hey kid get a job. Hey hey hey hey kid get a job."


-Elder Gagne